All kids using the chessKIDS website must obey the following rules at all times.
Please read them carefully, discuss them with your parents or carers, and, if you like, print them off and stick them on your wall.
Internet Safety Pledge
1. I will talk with my parents or carers so that we can set up rules for going online. The rules will include the time of day I may be online, the length of time I may be online, whom I may communicate with while online, and appropriate areas for me to visit while online. I will not break these rules or access other areas without their permission.
2. I will tell a trusted adult if I come across anything that makes me feel scared, uncomfortable, or confused. I will not download anything from anyone without permission from my parents or guardian.
3. I will never share personal information such as my address, my telephone number, my parents' or carers' work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents' or guardian's permission.
4. I will never respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. If I do get a message like that, I will tell a trusted adult right away so that he or she can contact the online service. And I will not send those kinds of messages.
5. I will never meet in person with anyone I have first "met" online without checking with my parents or guardian. If my parents or guardian agrees to the meeting, it will be in a public place and my parents or guardian must come along.
It is safe to use your real name when asked on this website as you are not communicating with anyone else. At some point in the future we
may incorporate facilities to play chess either in real time or by email, or to chat with other users of the website. If we do so you will be
advised NOT to use your full name on those parts of the site.
Real World Safety Pledge
1. I will check first with my parents, guardians, or other trusted adults before going anywhere, helping anyone, accepting anything, getting into a car, or leaving with anyone. I will remember to check first with a trusted adult if I decide to change my plans and if someone needs my help or offers me anything.
2. I will, if possible, take a friend with me when going to the shops, cinema, playing in the park or playground, or walking to and from school. By sticking together with my friend, we can help look out for each other if one of us is in danger or gets hurt.
3. I will tell people "NO" if they try to touch me or do things in ways that make me feel scared, uncomfortable, or confused, because it's OK for me to stand up for myself. If someone tries to touch me in a way that bothers me I will scream "NO" in a loud voice and then run away from that person and tell a trusted adult.
4. I will tell my parents, carers, or other trusted adults if anything happens to me. Trusted adults are people who respect my opinions, ideas and feelings. Trusted adults will listen and help me work out a solution to any problem I may have. I will tell a trusted adult when something is bothering me or when a problem becomes too big for me to handle.
Rules of Life
1. I promise that everything I do I will do to the best of my ability. In particular, I will always study and play chess as well as I can.
2. I promise that I will treat everyone the way they want to be treated. If I do not know how they want to be treated I will treat them they way I would want to be treated.
3. I understand that the needs of any community to which I belong (my family, my school, my chess club) are more important than my own needs.
4. I promise never to have anything to do with real weapons or real violence. I may sometimes enjoy toy weapons and fantasy violence but I can understand and talk about the difference between make-believe and reality.
5. I promise to try at all times to be nice to my enemies, to strangers and to people who are unhappy. I will use sports and games, such as chess, as an outlet for my aggression.
Thank you for agreeing to the terms and conditions of use of chessKIDS academy.
Click here to return to the website.